Monday, May 29, 2006

As you can see I've been at it again.
The car that is. Although I've done lots otherwise but boring mostly.
Since a lovely bank holiday approached I hatched plans to remove the LH sill on the car.
Well "remove" is a fairly permanent word so I approached the job with some caution.
Its well said about MG sills that they are not a job for the beginner, need good welding skills and if done badly you may as well chuck the car away.
That's apart from the fact that the car can "sag" drastically in the middle if not supported correctly.
..........................Well just like me then !!!!!
( shot showing exuberance of grinding tool)
Left to my own devices I ground away the inner upper lip of the sill and peeled down the cover sill just like Mr Lindsay Porter says. So far so good.
I should have used a "Spot weld Drill" but I thought they were expensive last time I looked so I used the dreaded Grinder. I must admit this tool frightens the hell out of me.
Sure it looks cool to be grinding away with sparks flying everywhere, but one slip and that's a hand severed, a carotid vein obliterated or a facial scar the size of the cheddar gorge.
The inner sill was just about there through a thin veil of rust.
For those of you who don't know the sills are structurally important on an MG.
There are 3 main sills.
A flimsy outer sill between the door posts. Easily removed with trusty grinder.
A full length vertical sill underneath this which extends under & behind front and rear wings and acts as a Stiffener for:-
The castle rail. This is also full length and is on the underside of the sill assembly and also attached to the inside front wing rear arch and back wing arch front.
All three make up a strong box section each side of the car.
My problem is this

No comments: