Monday, July 30, 2012

Update on ponderings

After the mish mash of one afternoons potterings taking off the cylinder head I've left the MG dormant for a while.
No particular reason. The weekends have been good weather but work has taken its toll. I must say being an itinerant industrial printing machinery salesman ( or Student for that matter) did leave me with much more energy for weekend frolics. I've not done such a physical job for over 35 years and when your in your mid fifties a lazy day or several is a must.

The ponderings are this :-
Does the "mayo" come from a cracked Head or Block ?
Is it because I didn't tighten the Head nuts according to the correct torque ?
Has my stupidity of not adding antifreeze during winter had terrible results ( Cracked block ) ?

My answer/s are still unclear.

a/.  Cracked or warped Head ?  Warped should see a £30 ish head skim correct this. Cracked , well time to save for a new unleaded head..........big probs ( No/not enough cash )

b/. Cracked block.....even bigger probs and a big long job. Not something I could do without a garage or have confidence to know what parts need replacing/ regrinding.

c/. Just buy another Head gasket " Payen type" and torque wrench, fit, flush and forget about .

d/. Bob-on with the s**t-load of other bodywork sanding and flatting, fit doors and winders to align doors, wings plus tackle front end chrome bumper mods ( alter indicator holes, grind off front chassis rails, weld captive nuts for bumper irons, modify lower valence for aforementioned.

As a precursor to any of this I've bought a torque wrench.....yahoo. This new toy ( arrives this week) will allow me to go over the front and rear suspension and leave me feeling a little happier knowing its all tickety boo.

I still wonder if I've fitted the correct front springs. I bought them on E-bay from a guy in the same town as me ( actually 1/4 mile away) and he said they were from a chrome bumper car. Trouble is the front end looks very high. Methinks even though they were shorter they may have been from a V8 thus much stiffer resistance for my car.
Just another worry of restoring a classic car on a shoestring and feckless heart.

I'm sure the enthusiasm and energy will come back....hopefully soon. I'm hoping the torque wrench does the trick.

All things considered I've achieved a lot this last few years and accomplished the seemingly impossible with time, patience, Internet trawling ( look up John Twist- University motors, on YouTube & BBS subjects on MG forums) and determination. So' I'm not going to fall at the last and supposedly most pleasurable hurdle of fitting up and interior re-trim ( The most costly though )

Wish me luck, send me money, post encouragement or just stop by to say a few words I need 'em all.

No comments: