Friday, March 29, 2019

just a little one

Post that is !

My office for today .....with executive chair.





Since it was a lovely sunny day, I had the day (FFFFFFFFFriday !!) off and had some energy after a lie in I thought I'd uncover the MG. Normally at this time of year some water has managed to creep in and flood the boot ( trunk) area. So, I fully expected to spent most of the day drying tools mopping up wet/rusty areas and having a good tidy up and re-arrange of all the tools and car parts.

Not so. Very little water ingress. There is a lot, and I mean a lot of little /medium/ large boxes of stuff that keeps on growing. I have an internal memory bank of what these are, where they came from and what I'm going to do with them....................someday !

Its over ten years since I started the project and think that the memory banks are now showing signs of failure.
For example, today's job was to weld the wheel arch inner outer inner patch. But could I find the templates I'd made last summer. It took an hour of searching the shed, outhouse, conservatory, boxes in the car, boxes out of the car, dining room x 3. After a well deserved lunch I found them. They were in a box right opposite the kitchen door and I'd walked passed about fourteen times that morning after the initial tidy-up.

The during welding the sparks start playing up as the nozzle was getting hot/damaged. Could I find spare nozzles ..............no, not , nyet, never. I do have some but could not be found in all the usual places ( conservatory desk drawer). Neither could I find the small needle files to open up the 0.6mm nozzle hole. 

So the upshot was the welding was rubbish. Not at all how i saw it in my head or envisioned how easy it looked.

Lo......crap welding,but my welding and its done !  Its never gonna be seen as it will be under sound proofing and carpet. Beneath will be treated to a good coating of under seal too.


 I am worried about the parts still in boxes though. For example, one box contains a front RH side brake disc,pin and spring plate, another lock mechanisms with window sliders and brackets (no screws) another fuel overflow pipes and wing screws and it goes on and on. Must crack on and get bolting things on. One source of frustration is all the screws and nuts and washers. So many different sizes and types.

Anyway, I finished the rear LH light aperture and filed the hole to allow the light base to fit





And here it is fitted. Well balanced in position anyway. Next up door glass and sliders, but that's for another day soon

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello Paul, I tried to post a comment yesterday but think I failed so will try again. I wanted to let you know that I've enjoyed reading your blog and wish you more spare time to complete it. I've been going on my 1972 GT for 4 years now and hope to paint it this summer. Mine has been repaired many times before and to a better standard than my skills allow. I had a professional replace the outer sills and wing bottoms all round and one leaf spring hanger. Other than that I've splodged patches in numerous places and my welding will look familiar to you. Anyway, hope you enjoy your project (as they say) as much as I do mine and hope you get that garage soon (much easier with one of those). Best regards, Simon