Monday, August 15, 2022

Much binding in the marsh

 I reviewed the seat webbing after I completed the 2nd seat frame. 

Not happy that it would be up to the job.

I took the old seat bases and backs to my upholsterer. Nice chap and was willing to replace the orange deckchair Nylon with black vynyl and 2" pleats in the centre.

I did first enquire at a local automotive upholsterer with good reviews online. However, the female on the other end of the line did not seem keen or helpful, topping off with " well the earliest I can start them is after christmas". WTF.

Anyways, another 2 mts of vynly sent directly to the upholsterer and job done, really friendly guy and gave me some wadding should the foams be a little reduced. 

He also gave me 6 mtrs of polyester webbing used on sofa backs. Game on, a new set of straps sewn up easily on the ancient Singer.

No. Not at all. They were flimsy, taut as a drum and that was their downfall. I didn't think they would be up to the job, especially the shock loading. The last thing I wanted was to have to remove the seat frames again after the car is done.

So I ordered some 2" wide nylon webbing ala seatbelt type stuff but not as wide.

What a performance that turned out to be. Getting the correct tension was a nightmare.

What I should have done is fix the inner frame and clips all round with one end sewn up, stretched it ( very little stretch on these) clamped up then unassemble and sew the loose end.

I only discovered this technique on the last two cross straps. Before that was a series of stitching, fitting, not being tight enough or too loose, cutting four rows of stitching , retightening and restitching.




Bugger,bugger and more bugger. Iv'e just got a new phone and somehow not able to show the correct images.
I did intend to show the staps on both seat frames looking good and taut.

So here are some images of the frames underway. The drivers back frame was by far the worse but was soon fettled
with the brass wire wheel in trusty Bosch drill, primered and sprayed gloss black, twice.

Lots happening though. 
The seats will be complete by mid/ late Aug.
The Auto Electrician visits this Friday ( says one hours work should be more than enough)
Wheels away having tyres removed then paint nimbus grey before hols, tyres booked for fitting 10 Sept after hols.
Found boot lock AND KEY ! Cleaned and ready to fit.
Need to paint front and rear brake drums and mask tyres for black infills.

So no posts for at least 3 weeks but hopefully then more exciting news. 

Oh............ and I retire in a couple of days. Yay. TFFT.




No comments: