Sunday, July 23, 2023

Several spanner's in the works.

 So June and July have proved to be a very frustrating month in more ways than one.

Let me explain, you knew I would.

 Engine and fuel leak 

After fitting of the ( clean and rust free inside ) tank I connected up the hoses again under the rear wheel. Devil of a job, fiddly awkward and tough. Connected engine bay fuel lines ( with a new filter) again another tough job as the fuel line ID changes sizes between scuttle and carb inlet.....who knows where as I've seen so many variants I'm past caring. I had to " slide " a fast moving drill bit into some ends in order to make them fit, but accomplished eventually.

Problem  1/.

Fuel leak gushing from overflows, both carbs. Wifey not happy at petrol smell everywhere. 

Smart thing to do...fit empty coke tin onto each overflow pipe. Car won't start !!!!!! Starts but runs rough !

Eventually find out PO home made immobiliser now is operative since the visit of Tony auto electrician.

Decide to take car onto cul de sac for test run, even though it runs as rough as a bears arse since I refurbished the carbs thinking coke tins will work a treat to catch the overflow.  Wrong, very very wrong.

Left a trail of fuel up, down, across, around and puddled at each stop and turn round, including the driveway.

Removed carbs.........again. Cleaned, reset floats, faffed with valves and needle. Fitted , checked fuel flow.

All seemed good except fuel flow still exiting via overflows. Ordered new float valves and left it at that as I was so pissed off with it all.



Decided to move on to Interior, namely the roof lining and Webasto inner lining ( or should I say the lack of it ) purchased a roll of Black Alcantara type stuff from the end of roll bargains that I calculated would just do the job.

I first made a template of the roof from corrugated cardboard. This was only a rough template as it was a bit " bendy" in one direction. Transferred it to hardboard and trimmed to fit. That was easy to type but it took about 10 days on and off to get it to fit. I decided to make it in two halves  ( front and rear) as the Webasto hole is so big the sides are thin and weak. It was fiddly and back aching taking in and out as well as getting the alignment central. That was just the hardboard, it was going to be even tougher with the fabric mostly glued on and tucked up under the cant rails.






Up to now all I've done is carefully, and I mean carefully glue down the fabric to each half with some overlap. It's resting in the shed whilst I got on with cleaning and spraying the inner  cream coloured vinyl a lovely satin Black. Also did the sun visors and rear view mirror too. Whilst seeking out said parts from shed I also found the green tinted wind deflector for the Webasto......result. No mounting blocks though.

Sunroof lining.

This was a real puzzle as I had no idea how it is fitted, how it was tensioned and how to make it look good. I had just enough of the material to cover the large area with a small length to fit over the  front cover cant rail. More photos on this to follow.


More on this later as I'm still a few weeks behind with the blog due to holidays, scaffolding round the house, bowls and wifeys Hip Op. So at some point there will be a lull as I'll be a house husband and it's raining non stop for the next few weeks, but lots more to show and tell till then.

1 comment:

Andy c said...

Do you have any pictures of how the
can’t rail stiffness are fixed