Sunday, August 02, 2009

What Colour ................tell me what you think

Well as the title says I've been giving this some thought, over the last 4 years actually.
The car was originally white ( Old English or Triumph White ) according to the log book and MG archives.
At some stage early on in its life it was given a very thorough respray to black. Even the engine bay ( Including wiring !!) rear tailgate inside and boot, door pillars /windows inside and bonnet underside.
Logic and common sense says make it back to original white. I think maybe so. Wifey saw a brand new re shelled Roadster at the MG hive last year in Old English White and loved it.
I'm not so sure as its a very yellowish white and it will really show up any panel gap errors.
I did see at the weekend a Fiat 500 in brilliant Blueish white. This looked really dazzling and I'm not sure if it was a White or very Pale brilliant light Blue, it still looked good though.
Below is a V8 example in Glacier white

.
I've decided that the car will be converted to chrome bumper and lowered back to standard or a little lower. However what type of grille ?. The above sports the later type ( 1970's).
There is a sixties style which I'm fancying as shown on the Bermuda Blue example car below.


This is how I envisage mine without the wire wheels and front over riders for a cleaner look.
I must admit the blaze red does look good though.

But having said that I do like the dark Midnight Blue below. Mine even has the large Chrome sill protectors and Rostyles too, plus it would hide any poor panel gaps.


Or could it be Black as it is/was now ? Shown is the older style grille and wire wheels.

I hate wire wheels, they always look dirty, must be a pain to clean and constantly need checking for loose spokes.



I suppose to keep the retro 60's look the colour should be pewter-ish ala 007's DB5 or even silver. But No, and here's why.
During my stint as a traffic surveyor recently and during the hours we got to sit down to count traffic i did my own car colour survey, By far the most common color was silver, or a variant of light blue/ green- silver, followed by Red then Black and Blue with Green last but fairly even with White. I did not count the weird colours like the Peugeot 80's Gold ingot type of aberration or the new Ford RS whatever with its bile/vomit green ( and JCB Yellow) aka 1970's glam or the boy racer pearlescent " I did this myself" paint jobs. I did see a rather attractive Brown on a Toyota Avensis ( oh.... how I miss mine) though and thought good, its nice to see one manufacturer breaking the mould a little. But not for my MG.
So What colour then...................It would be nice to hear your thoughts.


4 comments:

jj said...

I reckon pewter with red leather, a-la Mark Evans with an MG is born. Lovely colour combination and its certainly quite high on my list. I'm also a fan of the midnight blue :)

Anonymous said...

I've been in this quandry and chose to go with the original colour (it was a Mini and Inca Yellow), but I'd say go with whatever colour you like best and enjoy it. If you're personalising the car (wheels, grille etc) then originality is not key, so pick a colour you love and run with it!

Fufferfour said...

Thanks for the Input guys.
Up to now I think its back to the original white. Glacier White preferably.
However a nephew who is a manager at a local National transport garage says he will assist in the respray, so it may be whatever I can get hold of since all paint nowadays is waterbased !!.
It really is a little too far ahead to confirm yet, so I may change. Oh how sweet it is to make such unencumbered choices.

Anonymous said...

Hi there,

I saw your blog on MGBGT colours and the one in Bermuda Blue looks like the one I owned in the eighties. Is it yours - if not do you know whose it is or where it roams the road??

Many thanks
Rainbow1