Sunday, March 18, 2007

Rust......a show and tell story

The above shows a close up of the rear quarter. Mine has no rear wing attached at all. It was
cut off for some reason by the P.O ( Previous owner)
So you can clearly see the rust and flimsy edge at which the/a ( I ain't got a new wing yet) wing should be welded/glued/magically attracted/brazed/blu-tacked/gaffer taped/screwed/nuclear fusion.
I say this because I've taken council on how to fit the wing. One source says weld the part hidden by the chrome window surround from the outside, then weld the rear very difficult bit by trial and error.
Another source say send it to us and we'll do it for about £1000 per side, its very tricky you know and we are the **OC, we know best, we are smug and we'll charge you a fortune you skint and clueless little oik!
The absolute god and Mr wonderful, the saintly and sanguine Mark Evans ( and the bloke from Stoke) says glue them on and use the odd few tack welds at easy places.
Anyway........its still fairly irrelevant as I have no date or timescale to fix the wing on because..................................I don't have one !!!!!

In anticipation of this though I did set to work repairing this rusty edge. I have cut out three sections with trusty angle grinder. Made up one tricky repair section from flat sheet and welded another small part onto that. Please bear in mind I have now elected to use body filler to "shall we say".... enhance.... the appearance of the repairs.
I must stress that in no way is the structural integrity being compromised, only my delusional ideas of being a master M.I.G welder.

Next post will show my repairs of said area. Really, I did do it all myself. I must have, 'cause who else would own up to it ?

Bit short on witticisms this week. No one's fault really. I've been busy with work and college.
Kids same. Wifey also. Wintry weather and all that.

No comments: