Wednesday, June 01, 2022

From worse to I F%&^"ing well give up on the electrics, well probably !

 Another frustrating session ended nowhere so I bit the bullet and bought new hazard and indicator flasher units and and and a new battery !

Fitted hazard unit and battery. Still no joy. After checking starter and ignition relays about 30 times I swapped one of them ( forgot which one as this was a few weeks ago )  for a new halfords square thing of same rating and....................

Disater. White smoke. Billowing from the engine bay so off went the ignition key sharpish.

Since I was sat in the car I couldn't tell which relay was smouldering, so I had to repeat the episode, albeit quickly to see whitch one was a bit hot and melting.

What a mess !!!!!!!

The black wire from the relay and another one going to the fuse box looked like a skinned corpse. 


So just to add to my already frustrating wiring woes, a long and tedious rewiring of said wires from scrap wire ( correct black earth colour of course ).

The only positive notes were the hazards now flash, the indicators don't !, and I did manage to get the engine turning over thanks to John Twist's little tip from his Youtube channel.

I'd also bought a lower starter motor mounting bolt ( the top and bottom are different threads for some unknown BL reason ), however the bolt was in place and I'm sure for a long time it was missing and in the memory bank of my mind that I'd lost it but must remember to replace it ,sometime.

So I did what all top class computer programmers and prime ministers do.............Ignore it and move on to to the next subject.

So I welded on the rear light fillet base top from the rubber to chrome coversion " boat-tails".

I did make these some time ago but could the hell I find them........no, some made some more and got the welder out.



Thats enough for now. Interior to get moving on and lots to tell. 

Stay tuned my faithful followers.







No comments: